Diane Janzen is committed to public service and has served as a City Councillor, School Trustee, and Chair of the Board.
She served as a City Councillor for the City of Chilliwack from 2008 to 2011. Diane’s focus was on providing exemplary community services and keeping taxes low. In this capacity, Diane worked on a number of initiatives including the Evans Flyover, the Chilliwack Cultural Centre, fundraising of $5 Million for the Chilliwack General Hospital Emergency ward and expansion of public transportation. Working with BC Housing and the Pacific Community Resources Society, Chilliwack opened its Health Contact Centre dedicated to providing addiction and resident supports for 21 people which successfully operates to this day. As part of Mayor and Council, she oversaw an annual budget of $130 Million with balanced and surplus budgets in every year that she served.
Diane served in a number of capacities:
- Chair, Transportation Committee
- Chair, Mayor’s Committee on Health
- Chair, Mayor’s Committee on the Health Contact Centre
- Chair, Mayor’s Committee on Social Issues
- Vice Chair, Development Committee
- Member, Chilliwack Agricultural Commission
- City Representative on the Chilliwack Division of Family Practice
- Member of the Fraser Valley Health Care Foundation
- Member of the Chilliwack Health Care Foundation
- Alternate Member of the Fraser Valley Regional District
Diane served as a School Trustee from 2002 to 2008 and during that time served as Chair of the Board from 2003 to 2006 overseeing a school system of 31 schools, 12,000 students, and 1,400 staff. Diane focused on strong academic achievement, expanding choice for parents and building schools for the growing population. During this time the Board established a number of schools of choice including Rosedale Traditional School, McCammon Elementary Traditional School, and F.G. Leary Fine Arts School.